Saturday 22 April 2017

Get your stilts on - 22/04/2017 Highnam and Slimbridge


An early Saturay morning saw me risking parking at the entrance of RSPB Highnam woods to try for nightingale en route to see some black-winged stilts. I didn't get to see any, but heard two right next to the car park after they were kindly tipped off by a chap I met as I was walking into the reserve. Although they were silent when I had walked in, they soon started when I returned to the entrance. A return trip will be on the cards...

Over at Slimbridge, I swiftly made my way over to the Southern hide after queuing to get in, and the stilts were both quite near to the windows on the scrape. After taking lots of photos, I decided to go and try for the spoonbill, stopping to check with a lady who I met on the way if it was still there. She confirmed it, and I arrived about two minutes late to hear that it had buggered off. I went back to the Southern hide to see if it had made it's way over there, but it had not. The stilts were slightly closer again so I took a few more photos and made my way back to the other hides. In one of the elevated ones I got talking to a chap who I met again in the carpark on the way home. He informed me that the spoonbill had been seen at Splatt Bridge which was through Frampton where Jess and I had been recently, and so I followed him and his mate there to try and find it. We headed along the canal to where it had been seen, but couldn't locate it. It had been a nice morning anyway, so I headed home happy enough!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.