Saturday 22 July 2017

Get the bunting out.. Leighterton - 22/07/2018

After a bit of a birding drought (not including a world-list booted eagle in Marbella), I managed to get a lifer in the bag today at Leighterton after Nick did some research online into recent sightings. Tara, Jon, Nick and I headed down after a later start than intended due to my new Galaxy S8!! We spotted a yellowhammer before we got out of the car so we knew we were well and truly in bunting country. There were loads of birds around, including juvi green woodpecker, whitethroat, and lots of hirundines.

After a short walk down the public footpath across a field (keeping an eye out for little owl all the while) Tara cottoned onto a singing corn bunting which I hadn't quite fully realised was what I was hearing in the hedge ahead of us.

Shortly after watching it out on the wall singing, I managed to scope a second -


With no sound of the reported quail, and the weather turning against us, we headed home via Wentlooge, also dipping on little owl there unfortunately - so that one's turning into a difficult one this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.