Friday 21 February 2014

I do love a good bit of Hovis.. Barry Knapp - 21/02/2014

First up this morning was a trip to Forest Farm with the intention of getting Green Woodpecker and Water Rail on the 2014 list while waiting to see if the LTD was still present in order to spare myself the journey back down to Barry. Outside the first hide was a good selection, including 5 Bullfinch (3m, 2 f) a Goldcrest, Dunnock, Goldfinch, and the usual tits. From the hide there was a glimpse of a flyby Kingfisher heading over to the hide with a door, and brief views of a Water Rail feeding behind two Moorhens on the far left. I had squinted at a small shape scurrying across the open gap, which I might have thought was my eyes playing tricks had it not re-emerged shortly after. I could hear a Green Woodpecker yaffling somewhere not too far away, but no luck on that front.




A quick pit stop at home, and a quick and dirty fry-up later I was back out on the road down to Barry to try for the LTD once again. On arrival my heart sank because it didn't seem to be there, but luckily I went for a lap of the lake just in case and there it was happily going to bread thrown to the tufties and Mallards from a visiting family, who I assume where completely clueless as to the fact they were feeding a pretty scare type of duck. My initial shock was just how small it was, the tufties were much bigger alongside it, and I managed to get plenty of shots because it was quite tame. Luckily the light was onside, and a few have come out quite well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.