Friday 28 February 2014

Always more to learn - Nelson Wern 28/02/2014

I took a quick trip down to Nelson Wern this morning and racked up a good number of species from a fairly short visit, and all from being patient and staying in one spot. There was one bird singing which I could not see, and from the noises it made it put me in mind of a warbler at first, so I was thinking Blackcap initially, but I eventually spotted it (it was actually quite high above me) and realised it was a Siskin. Whilst according the BTO Siskins are on the rise, and are coming into gardens more than ever now, I must say it's not a species I've ever seen before in these parts myself, so it was a nice surprise. The BTO website also mentions that it also can sometime exhibit signs of mimicry, which is why perhaps my mind jumped to warbler, althought that could well be me trying to justify a bad ID guess...

No sightings of the resident Willow Tits this visit.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.