Wednesday 30 May 2012

Ham & Cheese -

I've been long overdue my first visit to Ham Wall for sometime now. Having missed my chances to go for the autumn murmuration I told Jess we had to make a spring trip, and I'm glad we did! It was a scorching hot day and on arrival we were treated to views of a Great White Egret off the first observation point.


It was actual a bit of ornithological history in the making as it was one bird out of the UK's first breeding pair, which are nesting over at the neighboring reserve Shapwick Heath. We sat watching it eating our sandwiches and I shouted out as a Bittern flew past over the far side, Jess's first Bittern, albeit a distant one.





We explored some of the short trail hides and I'm sure I saw a distant Marsh Harrier. The reserve was stunning in the sunshine and we could see Glastonbury Tor from afar. Even the squirrels were out sunbathing on branches!






Cuckoo's were out in force with a few calling from distant parts of the reserve. Warblers, and especially Black Caps were plentiful and so were the Four Spotted Chasers! Plenty of fodder for the Hobbies.


I managed to see the Cuckoo perching on a dead tree on the red loop walk and a quick view of a Cetti's as we came back towards The Railway Inn for a cool pint of cola each. I was lucky enough to see a Weasel with what I think was a Great Tit in his mouth as I brought the car around to the car park.

After refreshments we walked down to explore some of Shapwick Heath, and saw what we think was the other Great White of the pair, along with more distant flying Bittern and our first Hobbies! By the time we had got around to the first hide we were altogether a bit too frazzled to be out in the sun much longer, and we headed around to see the Avalon Marshes Centre.

On the way home we drove through Cheddar, and visited the DWN peregrine site, and saw two juveniles testing out their wings on the steep cliff sides.













A stop at Cheddar reservoir cooled us down in the breeze, and there were plenty of Mallards and Swans, and this perky young Wagger, unfazed by the lapping waves -



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.