Friday 6 April 2012

Good Friday, Good Birding - 06/04/2012

The sun was shining somewhat unexpectedly this morning so I decided to quickly nip down to Rumney Great Wharf (RGW) to see what was about. As I approached the bend just up from Mardy Road in the car I'm sure a Merlin was tearing through the fields to my left, but unable to pull over on such a busy road I'll have to consign that one to the maybe pile. After an unsuccessful lookout for the Little Owl near the Corporate Park (it obviously wasn't basking weather!!) a little trek through the farm fields revealed plenty of Goldfinch and Chiffchaff singing happily, but with the weather no where near as nice as we had it last week it was decidedly quieter all round. I was however plagued by a song which I did not recognize, but after glimpsing my suspect through the branches I had already guessed what the menace songster was before confirming it on the RSPB website at home - Wren (Song). I'm going to really have to try and really make an effort to learn all the common bird songs !!
These Goldfinch were busy nibbling at some willow tree blossom-
















No stunning Chiffchaff shots today, so this one from last week will fill in, as well as some butterfly shots in the same area as the today's Goldfinches from last week -

Comma Butterfly


Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly


Peacock Butterfly





The pair of Wheatear were still on the rocks, and they ventured slightly closer to me as I covertly sat watching them eating my lunch. They're like busy sentinels, constantly on the lookout from vantage points like meerkats.
After finishing my sarnies I accidentally flushed what appeared to be a Snipe, perhaps Jack based on it's size, but before I could get a solid ID it had flown away further down the salt marsh. I'll have to be extra careful near the salt marsh pools just over the embankment in the future. There were also about 4 Linnet going about their business nearby, and one not fully ID'd Pipit.

A Heron was fishing the reen near Sluice Farm as I turned the car around, and a kestrel hovered in the field opposite the wind turbine. There were no Little Owls in their tree either but a few vociferous Mallards kicked up a fuss at my presence, and the pair of Blue Tit were still going in and out of their tiny tree branch hole, obviously nesting. 

Someone has called in Hoopoe on Glam birders website in the Wentlooge area this evening!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.